- Lobster, 1-2 lb: 2 ea
- Tempura batter: 1 batch
- Gribiche dipping sauce: 1 batch
- Salt and vinegar potato chips: 1 bag
- Salt & FGBP: t.t.
- Flour: 1 cup
- Cornstarch: 1 Tbsp
- Vanilla: 1 tsp
- Seltzer water: 1 ½ cups
- Salt: 1 tsp
Gribiche Dipping Sauce
- Hard-boiled Egg, finely chopped: 1 ea
- Dijon mustard: 1 Tbsp
- White wine vinegar: 1 Tbsp
- Extra virgin olive oil: 3 Tbsp
- Capers, chopped: 1 Tbsp
- Cornichons. Chopped: 2 ea
- Tarragon, chopped: ½ Tbsp
- Chervil, chopped: ½ Tbsp
- Salt & FGBP: t.t.
Gribiche Dipping Sauce:
- Combine egg, vinegar and dijon in a bowl.
- Slowly mix in olive oil.
- Mix in all remaining ingredients and season to taste.
- Hold cold.
- Make this batter right before using it, do not make it advance.
- Mix all ingredients together in a bowl using a fork. Mix with minimal motion and you want it to be a little lumpy similar to cornbread batter.
Preheat a large pot with 3 inches of oil for frying. Using a candy thermometer maintain the oil at 450 degrees F.
Bring a large pot of heavily salted water to a boil. Drop in your lobster and cook for 4 minutes. Shock the cooked lobster in ice water to cool rapidly.
Remove claw, knuckle and tail meat from the lobster once cooled.
Now we are ready to fry. Mix your Tempura Batter.
Work piece by piece, drop in the lobster tail first since they will take the longest to cook. Drop the lobster in the tempura batter and fully coat. It is ok to have batter dripping in the oil, these little crispy bits are delicious on their own. Transfer the lobster to the hot oil carefully and lay it in.
Cook until the batter has puffed and started to turn golden in color. Transfer the lobster from the oil to a plate with a paper towel to soak up excess oil. You want the lobster meat to be warm but not hot. Once removed from the oil immediately season with salt and serve with a side of chips and gribiche to dip in.
Turn off the oil and let it cool fully before disposing of it.
- 2 mixing bowls.
- Large pot for frying
- Large pot for lobster
- Slotted spoon or spider to remove the lobster from the hot oil