How to Have a Lobster Boil at Home
Serves 4 ppl | courtesy of @lobsterfrommaine and Barton Seaver
Now you can enjoy an authentic Maine lobster boil conveniently at home.
- ½ lb slab bacon, cut into ½ inch cubes
- 2 lbs red skin potatoes, small
- 2 ea jalapeno or fresno peppers, halved
- 1 lb pearl onions or boiler onions
- 4 – 1 ½ lb live Maine lobsters
- 8 ears corn, shucked and broken in half
- 4 sprigs fresh mint
- 4 sprigs fresh basil
- Melted butter or aioli
In a large boiling pot, place the bacon, potatoes, peppers and onions. Cover with 2 inches of water, season generously with salt and bring to a boil. Once it comes to a boil, lower in the lobsters (head first) and place the ears of corn around the lobsters, trying to submerge the corn in the water as much as possible. Lay fresh herbs over top, return to a boil, cover and cook for 7 minutes. Turn off heat, let sit for 3 minutes. Strain off the water and dump the whole thing onto a table generously covered with newspaper. Serve with melted butter or aioli.