Why October is Great for Seafood Consumption
"Crab aficionados know that fall is the best time for crabs but did you know that there is a scientific explanation for this? Like most animals going into the colder seasons, seafood will fatten up in the fall. The good news is that seafood fat oils are where you’ll find important nutrients and omega 3 fatty acids."
October is National Seafood Month, and a fitting time to celebrate that the United States is recognized as a global leader in sustainable seafood—both wild-caught and farmed. U.S. fishermen and fish farmers operate under some of the most robust and transparent environmental standards in the world.
It's time to bring the family together for consistent meals at home around the dinner table --- make seafood the hero on the plate! Here's Why:
- Quick and easy weeknight meals: Many seafood dishes can be cooked in 15 minutes or less, the Partner Toolkit said, as it provides suggested cooking methods and times for several different types of seafood.
- Big Health Benefits: The benefits of seafood are big! Fish and shellfish supply the nutrients, vitamins and omega-3s essential for strong bones, brain development, and healthy heart and immune system.
- Even More Health Benefits: The fats found naturally in seafood, omega-3s EPA and DHA, are essential to our health---fish has more vitamin B12 and vitamin D than any other type of food, according to the FDA.
- The Seafoodie Family: focus on sitting down together as a family to connect. Renew your commitment to creating and serving meals at home that nourish your family's bodies, brains, and help them flourish for life.
Get to Know your Fishmonger/Lobsterman (aka us at GML)
Fishmongers should be your best friends when it comes to sourcing great seafood. We can tell you where your fish is from, and if the fish was sustainably fished or farmed. We also cut and de-bone the fish in order to save you time at home. In addition, we share various cooking techniques—pan-fried, steamed, baked, grilled—and what pairs well with your fish.
Your Seafoodie Recipes and Prep Tips:
- Prep Tips for our most popular offers >
- Host A Lobster Boil At Home >
- Grilled Halibut Recipe >
- Old Bay Haddock Recipe >
- Seared Scallop Recipe >
- Maine Lobster Paella >
Use National Seafood Month to find sustainable seafood, and try new seafood dishes—there’s something for everyone. While this celebration is technically only one month long, we're here 24/7 365. Be daring and be a culinary hero --- fly in your lobster from America's favorite Maine lobster delivery company --- ;) that's us!